Text size :
Formerly, Marine Department of Negara Brunei Darussalam was
only a section of the Department of Royal Customs and Excise which in
1948 was known as the Department of Custom and Marine headed by Mr DH
Trumble. The main services then was to provide transportation of
passengers and mail 3 times a week to Labuan. During that time, Marine
Department only operated 8 outboards and 6 vessels as maritime
In 1957, Marine
Department started to handle its own administration in its own
headquarters located at the Custom wharf, Bandar Seri Begawan. On 5th
August 1964 Mr Jack Turner was appointed as the first Marine Officer
(Pegawai Laut Negara) . He was the longest serving officer holding the
Post and was bestowed the title of " Yang Di Muliakan Pehin Datu
Tambang Layaran Laila Di Raja" and ended his service on 22nd February
Yang Di Muliakan Pehin was
replaced by Mr. I.G. FRAKER who served as the Director until 1984.
During his appointment, the Department acquired two fast pilot launches
(SERI BANDAR and SERI KUALA) and one tug boat (MT SUMPIT-SUMPIT). The
acquisition of the vessels was meant to upgrade the Department's
services inline with the increase in the number of merchant vessels
coming into Muara Port.
25th August 1984 marks a historical event in which the first Bruneian, Yang Mulia Dato Paduka Haji Ahmad Haji Ibrahim
was appointed as the Director of Marine. Under his administration, the
Department began to progress; mainly the entry of Negara Brunei
Darussalam into the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and
be party to 8 of the IMO Conventions and its Protocols. From
then on Marine Department began to enforce its authority under the
Merchant Shipping Act (Ch. 145) and the Ports Act (Ch. 144).
On 11th April 1991 Dato Paduka Haji Ahmad was replaced by Dato Paduka Haji Ismail who served the Marine Department until 15th September 1993 who was then replaced by Awang Haji Othman bin Haji Momin.
30th November 1993 Marine Department moved to its current headquarters
in Serasa, Muara to facilitate the administration and operations of the
On 11th January 1999, Awang Haji Hamidon bin Haji Md Tahir was
appointed as the new Director of Marine. During his time in office, the
Muara Channel was dredged to 13metres to facilitate deep draft vessel
entering Muara Port and the building of a Rotating Beacon in Lumut,
Kuala Belait was also completed to enhance the safety of navigation
within the Lumut coastal area.
On 1st January 2006 Awang Haji Bolkini bin Haji Abdul Rahman
was appointed as Acting Director of Marine during which he initiated
the revision of numerous Marine Orders and Regulations in line with the
International Maritime Organisation (IMO) requirements.
his office the Pilotage and Tugs Services was transferred to the Ports
Department as a move to for the Marine Department to focus on its
The Merchant Shipping Order (MSO) 2002, The Prevention Of Pollution of The Sea Order 2005 and Maritime Offences Order 2007 are
amongst the Thirty Eight (38) Orders and Regulations which provide the
Marine Department the legal authority to enforce its mission statement.
On the 14th of July 2008 .Awang Haji Omar bin Haji Sirat was appointed as the Director of Marine.
Copyright © Marine Department, Ministry of Communications, Brunei Darussalam. All Right Reserved.